Monday, April 12, 2010

Video cutter in Ubuntu

Recently I needed to create video demo for one for my developed application, and I needed to remove some unwanted portion from video. In windows there are plenty of application for doing so, but now I use Ubuntu operating system. I search for video editing software for Ubuntu and I found one great application.

Its command line tool and its name is ffmpeg.

It can cut video clip from large video, if you want to crop video it support this as well and it support wide range of video codec.

To install this tool type following command on terminal


sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

Following command will clip video and put it in output file

ffmpeg -i movie.avi -ss 00:51:42 -t 00:03:30 clip.avi

To crop video , use following commands

ffmpeg -i input.avi -croptop 50 output.avi
ffmpeg -i input.avi -cropbottom 50 output.avi

To change aspect ration use following command

ffmpeg -i input.avi -aspect 16:9 output.avi

Here is documentation for ffmpeg tool it you need some more options.

No comments:

Post a Comment